What can educationally be experienced in a single hour a day, added up week to week, for nine months a year, for four years? More than one can imagine!
It is said that one can count the apples in a seed, but one cannot count the seeds in an apple. Just as the seeds of an apple when planted can produce more apples than one can imagine, the Power of an Hour is bite sized learning that can really add up over time!
What can one explore in one hour, in a single day? A week? A month? Nine Months? Four Years? Let's take a look...
What can one be exposed to in a single day?
* A scripture episode.
* A read aloud from a classic.
* Enrichment through Power of an Hour, thus adding cultural breadth to one's educational experience.
What can one be exposed to over a week's time, in an hour a day?
* Art (Artists, History, and Works).
* Music (Musicians, History, and Works).
* Language Arts (Spelling and Grammar).
* Math/Science (Mathematicians/Scientists, History, Concepts and Activities).
* Statesmen and Leaders.
* Political Geography (World and US).
* Introduced to Hebrew (or Beginning Greek, Latin, or a modern language).
* Poetry (Poets, History, and Poetry).
* Conference Spotlight Scripture Mastery.
* A Noble Person from Church History.
What can one be exposed to and explore over one school year's time?
* 180+ Scripture Episodes.
* 36 Conference Spotlights.
* 36 Noble Men and Women from Church History.
* 25 Scripture Mastery verses and 11 other scriptures.
* Nine artists and art appreciation of 36 works of art.
* 36 Spelling Rules.
* Nine musicians and music appreciation 36 musical works.
* 36 Grammar Rules.
* 18 Mathematicians and 18 living math activities.
* 18 Scientist and 18 living science activities.
* 36 Statesmen and Leaders.
* 36 Countries (plus a 14 week summer geography supplement to round out 50 weeks).
* The Hebrew alphabet, numbers and words (or in years two through four- Greek alphabet and roots, Latin roots, or introduction to a modern language).
* Nine poets and 36 poems 36 of the 50 States (plus a 14 week summer geography supplement to round out 50 weeks).
This really adds up! In four years, one can be exposed to people, places, languages, and ideas within four grand cycles of history-- a systematic integration of spiritual and secular learning activities covering:
* Cycle I - Old Testament, Book of Moses, and Book of Abraham/ Ancient Times: Pre-Mortal Existence to 1 AD/ Introduction to Beginning Hebrew. Available Now!
* Cycle II - New Testament/ Birth of Christianity, the Apostasy, and Medieval Times: 1 AD to 1500 AD/ Introduction to Beginning Greek and Greek Roots. Available by Summer 2012!
* Cycle III - Book of Mormon/ Age of Exploration, Migrations, the Foundations of Liberty, and the Restoration: 1500 to 1820/ Introduction to Latin Roots.
* Cycle IV - Doctrine and Covenants and Joseph Smith History/ The Fullness of Times: 1820 to the present/ Melting Pot Approach to Foreign Language.
This can all be accomplished in about an hour a day through three simple steps listed above, ie.: scripture study, read aloud from a classic, and Power of an Hour Enrichment! And if you want to explore even further, great! We even include links within the Power of an Hour packet for those who want to explore further, or one can take the Power of an Hour packet to the library and use it as a road map to further self directed study.
Power of an Hour can free up time for mom to be with her children rather on the internet and at the library preparing. In future posts I will explore three areas where Power of an Hour is typically used:
* Homeschooling- as core curriculum, or as a supplement.
* Blended Education-supplemental enrichment for kids in public school.
* Momculture- a way for mom to broaden her own education.
Power of an Hour Cycle I: Old Testament and Ancient Times (click and scroll down to see the different monthly and weekly bundles). Power of an Hour is available for $2.99 a week, or $9.99 for a four week bundle.
Enriching Traditions Family Reading - Ancient Times Reading List